Skip to main content

Dirty German Fest 50k

Heeeeeellllllo! Again! 
It's mee... I am alive!! Yes, it's been over 3 years since I posted in my blog, and that is only because MY ENTIRE LIFE kind of changed, and I haven't ran an ultra in over 3 YEARS! WHY?

I can blame it on my fractures in my pelvis and femur, or my spondylolithesis, maybe my hypertension, or my iron deficiency, or my renal artery stenosis. But I won't, because health related, I was healthy, running off and on, even ran a Road Marathon and did pretty decent (3:11). 

The fact that I didn't run an ultra marathon in over 3 years is because I was SCARED! Terrified. 

Anyone can look up my Ultrasignup results and see how many ultras I have a DNS (did not start), I would register, pay the money and just not go, I would get beyond so worked up and the anxiety of stepping up to the start line would literally ruin me. 

In the last 3 years, a lot has changed in my private life as well as in my running life. Being a competitive runner, having sponsors. I let all of that go,  it had turned into a chore, a job, I no longer loved to run. I had to run for me, not a company. The last 3 years I've been finding away to fall back in love with running. The first 2 years were hard to love running again.

Fast forward to 10 weeks ago. 17 lbs heavier, barely running, no interest in running, someone close to me told me I "had become lazy". That was the fire to get me started. 

So 10 weeks, and first race is a 50k!

Dirty German Fest 50k 

Location: Pennypack Park, Philadelphia PA
Distance: 50k (31 miles)
Course15.5 figure 8 loop (2 loops). Approx 1600ft elevation gain. Trail: single track. Roots, Rocks, Mud, Water crossings.
Entrants: 220
Gear: Nike Trail Pegasus 2. OS1st socks, Orange Mudd Endurance Vest (1.5 bladder), Garmin 235.
Nutrition: 4 Honeystinger Waffles, Water.

Drove morning of to Philadelphia from Scranton (approx 2 hours 15 minutes). I had to stop 3 TIMES to use bathroom, my anxiety was getting the best of me.

This event had 3 races 25k, 50k, and 50 mile. There were over 950 registered runners. Huge event! Specially during Covid-19! Strict Covid-19 Rules: Wear Mask, Wear Mask, Wear Mask!  Temperature check before Bib pick up. Mask worn at start of race and for the first mile, mask worn at aid stations, mask worn whenever 6 feet from another runner, mask worn at finish of race! 😷

Goal leading into this race was to finish! I honestly didn't care about my pace/finish time or what place I would come in. This was going to be my first ultra in over 3 years, so I just wanted to finish! 

I was in the first wave of runners for the 50k, waves were set based on Ultrasignup ratings. I have a pretty high rating I believe 99% for my age and 92% overall... again it's been 3 years so I was kind of hesitant to even be in the first wave considering my lack of training and self confidence.

Ready, set, go! Mask on. I can not breathe. 

"Stay relaxed, stay calm, enjoy this moment, love it", is what I kept telling myself.

I stayed in a group of ladies for the first 5 or so miles, chatting about upcoming races, small world, others ladies running Cayuga end of May!
5-8 mile ran with the 3rd lady, sun started it get warm, and I was wondering how she was running with no hydration. I was wearing my orange mud hydration vest (1.5 liter). I didn't stop at any aid stations, my hydration vest carried all my goodies and water, I knew I didn't want to waste time at aid stations, I also knew I didn't want to stop for any reason or walk for any reason. Which was going to be hard for me bc over the last 10 weeks of training I incorporated walks in almost every run. I just figured I'd fight off the urge to walk, I knew the course wasn't too technical or hilly (approximately 1600 ft gain). It was however super muddy from all the rain which made it slippery, but I actually found it a lot of fun, I absolutely LOVE getting dirty.

Closing on the first loop around mile 11 I caught up to 2nd lady, stayed with her to wrap up our first loop.  

Starting my 2nd loop, I had a feeling of excitement come over me, I am actually going to do this! Running was feeling effortless, this is what it's supposed to feel like. Stay calm, stay relaxed, I still have 15.5 miles left. 

2nd lady had stopped by her drop bag to refuel. Along I went, now in 2nd. Hmm.. how much longer am I going to feel good? 

Eh. Just stay relaxed.
 
I can hear another runner behind me, over and through the water crossing, up the mud slide trail.... I cna no longer hear them, my pace started to become faster, I started to pass the 25k runners, on your left, on your left on your left.

Oh look my watch died. Great.
How have I not hit a wall yet???

I have no idea what mile I'm at. Ehh. Just keep running. Just keep running.

Oh look at that break in the trail, I see people. I see the finish line. Good bye 3 years of fear...

I finished, 9th Overall and 2nd Female, time of 4:41.

Surprised myself. Never thought I'd run a trail 50k under 5 hours on 10 weeks of training. 
I have a lot of work to do to get back to feeling comfortable with this distance, but this race gave me the confidence that my training is heading in the right direction.  

Up next. Cayuga 50k. May 29th. 🙏





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds End Ultra 50k

If you don't look off to the sides, bears aren't there.  If you don't focus so much on the trail infront of you, you don't see snakes...  Maybe that noise I just heard was just some other runner falling into rubbish or maybe it's a bear? Well no bear and no snakes sights during this event, which is a win in my eyes!  World's End Ultra Marathon.   Location: Worlds End State Park, Pennsylvania  Distance: 50k Elevation gain: 6200+ft Course conditions: Wet, Mud Nutrition: 2 liters water, 4 oz coke. Looking back at all the ultra marathons I have ran (over 30 finishes) closer to over 40 If you want to count the few DNFs and a few distance switches. Besides the point, out of 30+ ultras I have ran, Worlds End is the toughest, most challenging course I have come across for the 50k distance, and to make the race even more brutal, we ran it in a heat wave. Rewind to 2 weeks prior. I got an email that my name was selected off the waitlist to be a participant. I

50 Mile Training

The best training cycle I've ever gone through- I kept track of my daily runs/workouts and how I felt on them. - this is before Strava existed 🤣 So here it goes... 2023 RACES Scranton Half Marathon: (goal time: 1:35:00) 1:34:35 Dirty German Endurance 25km: (goal time: 2:05:00) Cayuga 50km :  (goal time: 6:30:00) Pine Creek Challenge 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:15:00) Steamtown Marathon: (goal time: 3:15:00) JFK 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:30:00) March 6th-12th (38.8 miles 1,883ft) Taper for USATF 50k Championships turned into a recovery week. Hip is slightly inflamed due to back nerve issues so made the call to sit out of the National 50k for this year so I can make it to the next starting line.  MONDAY : REST DAY TUESDAY : 7.6 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 2 min on 1 min off for 5 miles, 1 mile easy. Effort 7-8 (7:43/mile). WEDNESDAY : REST DAY THURSDAY : 7 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 1 min on 1 min off for 4 miles. 1.5 Easy. Effort 7-8(7:40/mile) FRIDAY : ACTIVE RE

MIA

I ALMOST completely erased my entire "One Run Closer" blog that I started back in early 2014, reading through all my past training, race goals and race recaps left me realizing how much I changed since I found this sport.  I decided to leave my blog be, after all in some moment of time what I wrote meant something significant to me. Even though so much has changed, I changed, it may be all those instances, all those injuries, all those jabs in life that made me who I am today. Moving forward, and looking to find something that will give me significance and a reason to feel the fire again and also keep me accountable and most importantly find mindfulness and joy in life and running again. I feel that I should go into depth of where I am coming from to explain why I am here. 8 years ago or more I was once wrote about being one of the best female ultra runners on the East Coast. Still to this day I never thought that as being true. Yes, I won ultras, claimed and brok