Skip to main content

RH Armadillo Broil 50k



Training. Or lack of.
I took a few months off of running due to a nagging injury... Also, moving to Savannah I was swamped with lack of time and finding a job etc... I decided that I would have to save Leadville Trail 100 for next year, and shoot for a 50k to keep my mind preoccupied. 

Armadillo Broil 50k is Richmond Hill GA first Ultra taking place at JF Gregory Park. 3.1 mile loop, mostly paved "trail" and about a mile dirt trail, flat as can be expected for running in the Savannah area. Shade for most of the trail minus the start/finish area. Weather that day was high 80* with a heat index of 112* due to the humidity. Parts of the trail were muggier than others. Race was very well organized, there was a 25k option and 50k option. Great race for runners looking for a long training run for upcoming fall marathons and also great ultra for anyone looking to run their first 50k, my advice, run in the heat to get use to the humidity and also practice nutrition during your long runs, find what works for you, you don't want to be at mile 20 and be in the bathroom....

So starting to run 5 weeks ago, and barely getting any miles in during the weekdays and only 3 "long" runs within this time frame was not much training leading up to this 50k, also, most of my runs (minus the long distance) were done on the TM before work. So leading into this race I knew I was NOT race ready, I didn't have the training in, but I was strong, I've been focusing on strength training, I know I still had some speed in me, but the endurance would be my tackle. My mission was to get this 50k in and then continue training for what's next.

Race Strategy... Haha. What?!
Nutrition- TRIFUEL www.brlsports.com
Gear- Altra Running (Impulse) www.altrarunning.com

My strategy was to run the first 20 miles at a comfortable pace (7:45-7:50) and then just keep moving along doing what I can for the next 11 miles.

Well I didn't do that. I ran the first 18 miles at a sub 7:20 pace, I felt good and went with it. Do I think I started out too fast? No, I think I started out great if I was running a 50k in weather that did not have a heat index of 112. But anyways...

I fueled off TRIFUEL, wild berry. Well I ran out of TRIFUEL after 15 miles, I didnt want to waste time making more so I switched to water, I also made the mistake of pouring most of my water on me, and I didn't want to stop at aid stations to waste time.... (I'm an idiot).

Anyways... That being said mile 18-27.9 was not good, I turned my GPS around bc I was getting mad seeing my pace drop from 7:20 to 8:30s. I took a few quick walking breaks, stretched, also pet a few dogs, also had to pour more water on me every chance I could get. I felt myself starting to overheat. I wasn't too scared knowing I only had one more loop to go (5k). I started to feel light headed, but  feet were still moving. I was just about to lap the leading male (Jay Sweet) he ran along side of me for the rest of my last lap, talking to me, keeping me going. 

Finished 1st overall, 4:07:05. Happy with my finish considering lack of training that went into this race. It's also been 5 months since I have raced, so being part of this event sparked that inner motivation in me, I love watching other running, whether it's their first or 50th ultra, knowing how much time and work they put into their training, knowing in their head they are saying "what the $*<&!!" As I am in my own head. 

Congratulations to Lara Zoeller on coming in 2 overall, Us Altra Ladies definitely made them boys sad. Also, congratulations to Sara Maltby for winning the 25k for the ladies. Also, congratulations to everyone who showed up there that day in that heat and ran lap after lap with smiles on their faces. 

Thank you Dan Hernandez for another great event in Low Country. 

What's next.
Buffalo Run 50k 
Savannah Rock and Roll Marathon


Comments

  1. Every time you ran past me I said to myself, "how the f&@* is she still going?!" Way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds End Ultra 50k

If you don't look off to the sides, bears aren't there.  If you don't focus so much on the trail infront of you, you don't see snakes...  Maybe that noise I just heard was just some other runner falling into rubbish or maybe it's a bear? Well no bear and no snakes sights during this event, which is a win in my eyes!  World's End Ultra Marathon.   Location: Worlds End State Park, Pennsylvania  Distance: 50k Elevation gain: 6200+ft Course conditions: Wet, Mud Nutrition: 2 liters water, 4 oz coke. Looking back at all the ultra marathons I have ran (over 30 finishes) closer to over 40 If you want to count the few DNFs and a few distance switches. Besides the point, out of 30+ ultras I have ran, Worlds End is the toughest, most challenging course I have come across for the 50k distance, and to make the race even more brutal, we ran it in a heat wave. Rewind to 2 weeks prior. I got an email that my name was selected off the waitlist to be a participant. I

50 Mile Training

The best training cycle I've ever gone through- I kept track of my daily runs/workouts and how I felt on them. - this is before Strava existed 🤣 So here it goes... 2023 RACES Scranton Half Marathon: (goal time: 1:35:00) 1:34:35 Dirty German Endurance 25km: (goal time: 2:05:00) Cayuga 50km :  (goal time: 6:30:00) Pine Creek Challenge 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:15:00) Steamtown Marathon: (goal time: 3:15:00) JFK 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:30:00) March 6th-12th (38.8 miles 1,883ft) Taper for USATF 50k Championships turned into a recovery week. Hip is slightly inflamed due to back nerve issues so made the call to sit out of the National 50k for this year so I can make it to the next starting line.  MONDAY : REST DAY TUESDAY : 7.6 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 2 min on 1 min off for 5 miles, 1 mile easy. Effort 7-8 (7:43/mile). WEDNESDAY : REST DAY THURSDAY : 7 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 1 min on 1 min off for 4 miles. 1.5 Easy. Effort 7-8(7:40/mile) FRIDAY : ACTIVE RE

MIA

I ALMOST completely erased my entire "One Run Closer" blog that I started back in early 2014, reading through all my past training, race goals and race recaps left me realizing how much I changed since I found this sport.  I decided to leave my blog be, after all in some moment of time what I wrote meant something significant to me. Even though so much has changed, I changed, it may be all those instances, all those injuries, all those jabs in life that made me who I am today. Moving forward, and looking to find something that will give me significance and a reason to feel the fire again and also keep me accountable and most importantly find mindfulness and joy in life and running again. I feel that I should go into depth of where I am coming from to explain why I am here. 8 years ago or more I was once wrote about being one of the best female ultra runners on the East Coast. Still to this day I never thought that as being true. Yes, I won ultras, claimed and brok