Skip to main content

USA 50k ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS & a PR

It's pretty funny how goals happen and even when it's very unexpected.

I started training for Delirium 24 Hour with a fast 100 mile time in my head, I ended with 79.67 miles in 12:54. 9:44 pace. I do regret now, not even walking those last 20 miles, I would have set a PR for 100. But now I'm looking at it as a training run to hit qualifying 120+ miles in 24 hours at SC 24 Hour Track Race.

The past few months I have had some major PRs in various distances all while not training for that distance but with my main goal of 24 hours. Which has me thinking I wonder how I would have done if I trained for that specific event. 

My biggest PR is with the 50k.
Previous 50k PR is 4:11 @ Mad Marsh 50k in South Carolina. So leading into Caumsett 50k Championships I wasn't thinking that I would PR because I just had ran Delirium 3 weeks prior and I had 2 weeks to go to SC24.

I asked around about Caumsett, and heard that it was a fast course and a lot of runners PR there, but there is a lot of good compeition. 

So I figured I would push myself, act as if I was running a marathon and just hold on another 4.8 miles. Then I started to think again, my PR in a marathon is 3:09, which was ran over 2 years ago. So ended up making my goal for Caumsett to be sub 4 hours. Under 4 hours for a 50k is a goal that I know a lot of ultra runners want to hit. As is a sub 3 hour marathon is to a marathon runner. 

So I did the math and I wod have to keep my pace under 7:45 to be just under 4 hours. I was 70% sure that I could do this. I have done 3 50k training runs in the last few months which I was just under 4 hours (taking a break to eat at 20 miles, so it wasn't a consistent effort). 

Caumsett USA Road 50k Championships

Woke up at 3AM to drive 3 hours to Long Island. Arrived early, got my racing bib and shirt, started to feel actually pretty nervous at this point. I'm not usually that nervous at the very beginning of a race, but I think knowing it was a Championship race had my blood pumping.

Before the gun went off the RD spoke some and talked about some elite runners who were there, Michael Wardian, Joseph Gray, Ethan Coffey, Emily Harrison, and Tracy Meder. As soon as I heard Emily's name I knew I would be lapped as she is a Olympic marathon qualifier and won JFK 50 and I knew Tracy had ran in the World Championships the previous year. I was actually pretty excited that there were a lot of fast ladies there, I thought well if I'm going to get beat atleast it's by the best!

Gun went off and I went too FAST!!!

My original plan was to run the first 5k slower, 24 minutes, I came around just about 21:25,..... 

Then the second loop I went a tad faster, sub 21 minutes. I felt comfortable knocking 6:30-6:50 minute paces, I knew I would pay for it in the end but I kept making little goals for myself,

I knew I had the 1/2 marathon point to be sub 1:30, I hit it at 1:28, PR.

Around mile 15/16 is when the lead guys lapped me, I tried to run their pace for a minute, haha

Then my not so smart runner side kicked in and said shoot for a sub 3 hour marathon. So I went after it.... and well I crashed and burned. Still PRing in marathon distance with 3:09:11.

Emily lapped me, not sure what mile or lap, but it was in the low 20's. Loved watching her run by, so smooth and relaxed, I felt like I was standing still.

The course, for a 50k, was not great, 2 long steep inclines, so basically 20 hills. Thankfully we had a few descents following. I did love that this was road, I've never done a road 50k before.

So back to where my legs fell apart, I think about mile 23-25, my paces went from sub 7 minutes to barely holding a 7:40, I was just waiting for Tracy to catch me at this point, I knew she was gaining on me.

The last 5k loop, my legs were dead, and Tracy was only maybe 40 seconds behind me, I pushed my self as hard as I can (8:00min pace) those last 3.1 miles.

Finished, 2nd Overall Female, 3:48:25.
Then immediate pain... Well soreness, but it was well deserved.

Not only was I excited about being sub 4 hours, but I had no idea I could have gone sub 3:50. My time qualifies me to go to World Championships.



Comments

  1. Hi Taryn, great great job! In looking at your splits, does your coach ask you to even them out for the entire race? Not being an ultramarathoner, I'm wondering what the professionals say about ultra pacing. I know nutrition and hydration are totally critical. I wonder if running a 7 minute pace the entire time would have allowed you to pickup the pace or keep the pace from slowing more. I don't know what the program is for pacing an ultra. Again, incredible race you had. Congratulations on qualifying for worlds! Mark

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds End Ultra 50k

If you don't look off to the sides, bears aren't there.  If you don't focus so much on the trail infront of you, you don't see snakes...  Maybe that noise I just heard was just some other runner falling into rubbish or maybe it's a bear? Well no bear and no snakes sights during this event, which is a win in my eyes!  World's End Ultra Marathon.   Location: Worlds End State Park, Pennsylvania  Distance: 50k Elevation gain: 6200+ft Course conditions: Wet, Mud Nutrition: 2 liters water, 4 oz coke. Looking back at all the ultra marathons I have ran (over 30 finishes) closer to over 40 If you want to count the few DNFs and a few distance switches. Besides the point, out of 30+ ultras I have ran, Worlds End is the toughest, most challenging course I have come across for the 50k distance, and to make the race even more brutal, we ran it in a heat wave. Rewind to 2 weeks prior. I got an email that my name was selected off the waitlist to be a participant. I

50 Mile Training

The best training cycle I've ever gone through- I kept track of my daily runs/workouts and how I felt on them. - this is before Strava existed 🤣 So here it goes... 2023 RACES Scranton Half Marathon: (goal time: 1:35:00) 1:34:35 Dirty German Endurance 25km: (goal time: 2:05:00) Cayuga 50km :  (goal time: 6:30:00) Pine Creek Challenge 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:15:00) Steamtown Marathon: (goal time: 3:15:00) JFK 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:30:00) March 6th-12th (38.8 miles 1,883ft) Taper for USATF 50k Championships turned into a recovery week. Hip is slightly inflamed due to back nerve issues so made the call to sit out of the National 50k for this year so I can make it to the next starting line.  MONDAY : REST DAY TUESDAY : 7.6 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 2 min on 1 min off for 5 miles, 1 mile easy. Effort 7-8 (7:43/mile). WEDNESDAY : REST DAY THURSDAY : 7 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 1 min on 1 min off for 4 miles. 1.5 Easy. Effort 7-8(7:40/mile) FRIDAY : ACTIVE RE

MIA

I ALMOST completely erased my entire "One Run Closer" blog that I started back in early 2014, reading through all my past training, race goals and race recaps left me realizing how much I changed since I found this sport.  I decided to leave my blog be, after all in some moment of time what I wrote meant something significant to me. Even though so much has changed, I changed, it may be all those instances, all those injuries, all those jabs in life that made me who I am today. Moving forward, and looking to find something that will give me significance and a reason to feel the fire again and also keep me accountable and most importantly find mindfulness and joy in life and running again. I feel that I should go into depth of where I am coming from to explain why I am here. 8 years ago or more I was once wrote about being one of the best female ultra runners on the East Coast. Still to this day I never thought that as being true. Yes, I won ultras, claimed and brok