Skip to main content

Wild Trails, Scenic City Trail Marathon recap.



Scenic City Trail Marathon, 26.2 miles
through Raccoon Mountain in Chattanooga. This event is labeled one of the biggest trail marathons in the south east (500+ participants) and is also a flatter/faster event that Wild Trails puts together. Although still a difficult course specially to anyone who is use to road running. The course is about 2400+ft of gain through out, rocky, rooty, muddy, constant up and down rolling hills. The course consisted of 2 loops (5 aid stations for the marathoners and 2 for the half marathoners).

PRE-THOUGHTS
Entering this event I wasn't sure what to expect. I looked into previous course times and the records were set by male: 2:42 and female 3:13. The lady who held the CR is a good runner, who has knocked a lot a sub 3 hour road marathons, so going into this event I knew I wouldn't be running anywhere close to sub 3 on this course. As for my training, I have been running the strong, focusing more on speedwork and keeping lower mileage to concentrate on marathon training for the next few months with a 2:55 goal time.

MORNING OF RACE
Woke up at 3am to leave for Chattanoga. (3.5 hour drive from Columbus). The weather looked horrific. 100% chance of rain throughout with severe thunderstorms. I was mainly hoping that the rain wouldn't start until after we began the race, I don't mind running in the rain I just didn't want to stand around in it waiting.

START
The half and full marathon started together, there was a good crowd but I think the storm scared some runners away. 
I started in mid pack with a few other women, pacing off them for the first mile or so. I wore my Garmin but I also didn't look at my watch the entire race, I knew then bc of the rain and trail it self that this wouldn't be a fast course for me and I didn't want to get caught up in holding a certain pace. So I paced off others. The course begins on a road, then enters the trail, for the marathoners you are on this trail the entire way, so say good bye to all your friends/family that came to spectate, unless the know the course well and can meet you at the aid stations which are located near roads in Raccoon Mountain.

I started to pick up some speed, mostly just wanted to catch up to the leading female, I wasn't sure if she was in the half or full marathon, but I paced off her and another male.

The rain stopped and actually got pretty warm out. The course was pretty muddy, rocky, rooty. I wore Lone Peak 2. I love the Olympus, but I thought wearing the LP2 would be better on this course, I was right. The LP had better grip through the mud and i felt lighter on my feet.

The half marathoners turned right to head to their finish, we continued on trail. The female I was behind had turned off I wasn't sure if I was happy or upset, happy because I knew then I was leading for the ladies in the marathon, but also I really enjoyed running with her, (Elizabeth MCCalley, finished the half  marathon (1:30:15) which is a great time on the course and she missed the half CR by 5 seconds).

The last loop, the male that was running with us passed me around 14 miles. I felt like I was starting to slow down for the second loop, the hills turned into a tip toe run up, and I was starting to stumble. 

I fueled my first loop off TRIFUEL, which is the energy/recovery drink I have been using since September. Full of Electroyles, BCAAs, and GI Friendly Carbs. I used Wild Berry flavor to get the most energized I could be for this race. 

I wish I could have planted another bottle of TRIFUEL out on the course or at the aid station, due to the weather getting warm I went through 18oz in 15 miles, so the second loop I stopped at 2 aid stations to fill my bottles up with water. I hate stopping, specially in marathons, but I had to stay hydrated!

I passed the leading male of the marathon a few miles from the finish he looked like he was hurting. I knew the other male who had been running with me the first loop was now in the lead. I had no idea who was really behind me, and at this point I didn't care, I could hear the finish line, they were playing music and I would get excited and kept running thinking I was getting close, but then the music disappeared, this happened a lot over the next couple miles, trails are tricky little fudgers. 

FINISH
Finally, I saw a few ladies in tutus standing at the end of the trail on a road, they told me I was almost done. One loop around the road to the finish line, I finally looked down at my watch (3:06:XX), I was kind of in shock, i was the First Lady, finished with the overall time of 3:07:13 which broke the previous women's course record by 5+ minutes. I was also 2nd overall.

The 2nd female came in shortly after me, Emily Ansick, 3:10:17. Us ladies were definitely representing today. Beth Santoro claimed third female. The overall winning time was 2:58:43 by William Ansick.
 
GEAR
Altra LONE PEAK 2
www.altrarunning.com

NUTRITION
BRLSPORTS NUTRITION, TRIFUEL.
www.brlsports.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds End Ultra 50k

If you don't look off to the sides, bears aren't there.  If you don't focus so much on the trail infront of you, you don't see snakes...  Maybe that noise I just heard was just some other runner falling into rubbish or maybe it's a bear? Well no bear and no snakes sights during this event, which is a win in my eyes!  World's End Ultra Marathon.   Location: Worlds End State Park, Pennsylvania  Distance: 50k Elevation gain: 6200+ft Course conditions: Wet, Mud Nutrition: 2 liters water, 4 oz coke. Looking back at all the ultra marathons I have ran (over 30 finishes) closer to over 40 If you want to count the few DNFs and a few distance switches. Besides the point, out of 30+ ultras I have ran, Worlds End is the toughest, most challenging course I have come across for the 50k distance, and to make the race even more brutal, we ran it in a heat wave. Rewind to 2 weeks prior. I got an email that my name was selected off the waitlist to be a participant. I

50 Mile Training

The best training cycle I've ever gone through- I kept track of my daily runs/workouts and how I felt on them. - this is before Strava existed 🤣 So here it goes... 2023 RACES Scranton Half Marathon: (goal time: 1:35:00) 1:34:35 Dirty German Endurance 25km: (goal time: 2:05:00) Cayuga 50km :  (goal time: 6:30:00) Pine Creek Challenge 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:15:00) Steamtown Marathon: (goal time: 3:15:00) JFK 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:30:00) March 6th-12th (38.8 miles 1,883ft) Taper for USATF 50k Championships turned into a recovery week. Hip is slightly inflamed due to back nerve issues so made the call to sit out of the National 50k for this year so I can make it to the next starting line.  MONDAY : REST DAY TUESDAY : 7.6 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 2 min on 1 min off for 5 miles, 1 mile easy. Effort 7-8 (7:43/mile). WEDNESDAY : REST DAY THURSDAY : 7 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 1 min on 1 min off for 4 miles. 1.5 Easy. Effort 7-8(7:40/mile) FRIDAY : ACTIVE RE

MIA

I ALMOST completely erased my entire "One Run Closer" blog that I started back in early 2014, reading through all my past training, race goals and race recaps left me realizing how much I changed since I found this sport.  I decided to leave my blog be, after all in some moment of time what I wrote meant something significant to me. Even though so much has changed, I changed, it may be all those instances, all those injuries, all those jabs in life that made me who I am today. Moving forward, and looking to find something that will give me significance and a reason to feel the fire again and also keep me accountable and most importantly find mindfulness and joy in life and running again. I feel that I should go into depth of where I am coming from to explain why I am here. 8 years ago or more I was once wrote about being one of the best female ultra runners on the East Coast. Still to this day I never thought that as being true. Yes, I won ultras, claimed and brok