Skip to main content

Past 3 months

Most people know my passions in life are running and my dogs. Over the past 3 months I have lost my ability to run due to an injury which should have been healed already if it wasn't for the lack of care I have received with my physicians. I also had to say good bye to one of my dogs.

I went to the Emergency Room early April 2016 after a fall. With severe pain in my right groin. No X-Rays were taken. I was given crutches, a steroid, pain killers and muscle relaxers, told to stay off leg for a few days and ease back into walking/running- was treated for a groin pull.

Followed up with my Physician a week later with still a lot of pain in my right groin. Was given a different type of muscle relaxer. Still no X-Ray taken/ordered.

After a couple weeks I requested to see a Physical Therapist since my groin was not getting any better, in hopes for some help.

Physical Therapist gave me exercises to do to help strengthen my glutes in hopes to strengthen my groin. 2 weeks after seeing Jerrel still no improvement, and exercises gave me even more pain. He ordered an x-Ray. (7/8 weeks into my injury).

X-Ray came back good- continued with PT exercises. At 9+ weeks I e-mailed my Physician DEMANDING a must for an MRI given my lack of recovery. Which was then scheduled on June 16 ( over 2 months into injury).

My MRI came back that I have nondisplaced fractures throughout my Superior and Inferior Pubis Ramus.

I filled out a grievance due to the system "Relay Health" for lack of communication with doctor- it is not personable to talk to my doctor via e-mail. There should be a direct phone number to contact- and doctors should call the patients regarding their health and conditions. I never received a call OR email from my physician regarding the results of my MRI, even after I sent her emails regarding it. I did thankfully find out through my husbands medic in Ukraine, who I gave permission to access my medical files. I have recently changed my physician since my former one was not doing her job and did not care enough to even schedule a Orthopedic appointment for me.  

Also, because I believe the x-Ray and MRI should have been done sooner than 2+months into my injury. I believe I was misdiagnosed, treated for a groin sprain, doing exercises, taking Ibuprofen (slows down bone growth) also was put on steroid in the beginning that slows down bone growth, all while having stress fractures in my inferior and superior Pubis Ramus causing my healing process to be slower than normal.

I'm not sure where I place blame, could be from the very beginning at the ER, but my Physician and/or PT should have ordered the X-Ray/MRI right away after seeing no progress and knowing my history with running and having a stress fracture before in my femur.  

Running will return, I will recover, and rebuild myself a stronger runner. Just on top of losing that "part of me" I also had to say good bye to my best friend Pre, initially saying good bye was the hardest thing to do, a week later, reality set in that I will No longer see my dog again, he gone, forever. Most people are probably like yes sweetie you lost your dog, I'm sorry but get over it... Pre was my best friend, and only friend for a very long time, he has been through so many difficult times with me over the past 6+ years. Yesterday, I cried for 4 hours start to the point I fell a sleep and woke up to my eyes completely swollen closed, I cried to the point that I was screaming and my other dogs were so scared.

I'm sure all my frustration with my injury, stress with daily life and losing my pet all combined just made me break down. People want to know what's going on, how they can help. It's not that I don't want the help, I'm not looking for anyone to have pity on me. I believe I am handling my injury okay, finding ways to relieve stress.

All of this really has affected me physically and mentally to the point where I question my goals with running, injury after injury, 20+ years running, I have accomplished a lot, I have met my goals my PRs, I have made new goals and strive to achieve them. BUT right now, I'm mentally drained, people mention to me about running in general on a daily basis, right now- I zone out, it's not that I don't care, it's not that it makes me jealous, I just can't focus, my mind is else where. I'm at the point that I just need a mental break from what I love- because it just hurts too much.

I'll always be involved in fitness someway or another, I'm still doing what I can, I lift 5-6 days a week, bike as much as my pelvis will let me. Focusing on a cleaner diet, supplements. For now though- I will focus on other aspects of myself- my other strengths, my family, my career.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds End Ultra 50k

If you don't look off to the sides, bears aren't there.  If you don't focus so much on the trail infront of you, you don't see snakes...  Maybe that noise I just heard was just some other runner falling into rubbish or maybe it's a bear? Well no bear and no snakes sights during this event, which is a win in my eyes!  World's End Ultra Marathon.   Location: Worlds End State Park, Pennsylvania  Distance: 50k Elevation gain: 6200+ft Course conditions: Wet, Mud Nutrition: 2 liters water, 4 oz coke. Looking back at all the ultra marathons I have ran (over 30 finishes) closer to over 40 If you want to count the few DNFs and a few distance switches. Besides the point, out of 30+ ultras I have ran, Worlds End is the toughest, most challenging course I have come across for the 50k distance, and to make the race even more brutal, we ran it in a heat wave. Rewind to 2 weeks prior. I got an email that my name was selected off the waitlist to be a participant. I

50 Mile Training

The best training cycle I've ever gone through- I kept track of my daily runs/workouts and how I felt on them. - this is before Strava existed 🤣 So here it goes... 2023 RACES Scranton Half Marathon: (goal time: 1:35:00) 1:34:35 Dirty German Endurance 25km: (goal time: 2:05:00) Cayuga 50km :  (goal time: 6:30:00) Pine Creek Challenge 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:15:00) Steamtown Marathon: (goal time: 3:15:00) JFK 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:30:00) March 6th-12th (38.8 miles 1,883ft) Taper for USATF 50k Championships turned into a recovery week. Hip is slightly inflamed due to back nerve issues so made the call to sit out of the National 50k for this year so I can make it to the next starting line.  MONDAY : REST DAY TUESDAY : 7.6 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 2 min on 1 min off for 5 miles, 1 mile easy. Effort 7-8 (7:43/mile). WEDNESDAY : REST DAY THURSDAY : 7 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 1 min on 1 min off for 4 miles. 1.5 Easy. Effort 7-8(7:40/mile) FRIDAY : ACTIVE RE

MIA

I ALMOST completely erased my entire "One Run Closer" blog that I started back in early 2014, reading through all my past training, race goals and race recaps left me realizing how much I changed since I found this sport.  I decided to leave my blog be, after all in some moment of time what I wrote meant something significant to me. Even though so much has changed, I changed, it may be all those instances, all those injuries, all those jabs in life that made me who I am today. Moving forward, and looking to find something that will give me significance and a reason to feel the fire again and also keep me accountable and most importantly find mindfulness and joy in life and running again. I feel that I should go into depth of where I am coming from to explain why I am here. 8 years ago or more I was once wrote about being one of the best female ultra runners on the East Coast. Still to this day I never thought that as being true. Yes, I won ultras, claimed and brok