Skip to main content

79.67 strong to a dead stop.


Leading into Delirium I believed I had solid training under my feet. I was having feet issues heading into this race but I prayed that they would just hold up.

Starting this race I took my first 5k fast, 23something, pretty sure the first 10 or 15 miles my pace stayed around 8:40s. I finally eased into a slower pace 9:30s. 

The course was flat, trail, rained for a few hours, got very muddy in sections and hard to run through.

I knew in the back of my head there's was no way I was going to be running out there the full 24 hours, but I believe I could possibly get sub 18 hour 100 even if I walked an hour.

I think I started to fall a sleep around 35 miles, then started to run with man in the 6 hour event, we got to talking and I didn't even realize my paces were dropping sub 9 minutes again. He did well 40ish miles in 6 hours. I too reached 40 in 6 hours, told myself to slow down.

I hit a wall again at this point and changed from my Hokas to my
Mizunos around 46 miles bc they were so much coated in dirt they felt like bricks.

Got to moving again, felt good and cranked out a few laps in a sub 9 minute pace then settled in again. Reached 50 miles in 7:53.

I started to have negative thoughts, and I was trying to get myself out of it so I started to set little goals for myself. My goal was to get to the 100k in under 10 hours, I was 9:53. Then my new goal was to see how if I can get 70 miles in 12 hours, I got over 73 miles.

I was good to go for a couple more miles. Then all hell happened, instantly couldn't take another step without agonizing pain. My toe was bothering me for the past 30 miles but I felt a snap, I thought it has snapped off. And of course that cramp that I has been having an issue with in my other foot, that was something I might have still could have pushed through, but whatever I did to my knee, I couldn't move. I walked slowly the last lap, I didn't want to call it quits, mentally I was fine. 

I ran so comfortable and relaxed for 79.67 miles in sub 13 hours, disappointed that I couldn't reach 100 due to my feet, mentally I was ready I had more to give, lesson learned, Hokas for entire race!

Not sure what is next, I was planning on running another 24 hour race soon but my motivation and determination is low, I should just look at Delirium as a really long training run. Not sure what I want to do with running now so taking time to think about that....







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worlds End Ultra 50k

If you don't look off to the sides, bears aren't there.  If you don't focus so much on the trail infront of you, you don't see snakes...  Maybe that noise I just heard was just some other runner falling into rubbish or maybe it's a bear? Well no bear and no snakes sights during this event, which is a win in my eyes!  World's End Ultra Marathon.   Location: Worlds End State Park, Pennsylvania  Distance: 50k Elevation gain: 6200+ft Course conditions: Wet, Mud Nutrition: 2 liters water, 4 oz coke. Looking back at all the ultra marathons I have ran (over 30 finishes) closer to over 40 If you want to count the few DNFs and a few distance switches. Besides the point, out of 30+ ultras I have ran, Worlds End is the toughest, most challenging course I have come across for the 50k distance, and to make the race even more brutal, we ran it in a heat wave. Rewind to 2 weeks prior. I got an email that my name was selected off the waitlist to be a participant. I

50 Mile Training

The best training cycle I've ever gone through- I kept track of my daily runs/workouts and how I felt on them. - this is before Strava existed 🤣 So here it goes... 2023 RACES Scranton Half Marathon: (goal time: 1:35:00) 1:34:35 Dirty German Endurance 25km: (goal time: 2:05:00) Cayuga 50km :  (goal time: 6:30:00) Pine Creek Challenge 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:15:00) Steamtown Marathon: (goal time: 3:15:00) JFK 50 Mile: (goal time: 7:30:00) March 6th-12th (38.8 miles 1,883ft) Taper for USATF 50k Championships turned into a recovery week. Hip is slightly inflamed due to back nerve issues so made the call to sit out of the National 50k for this year so I can make it to the next starting line.  MONDAY : REST DAY TUESDAY : 7.6 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 2 min on 1 min off for 5 miles, 1 mile easy. Effort 7-8 (7:43/mile). WEDNESDAY : REST DAY THURSDAY : 7 Road Miles : Tempo Bursts. 1.5 WU, 1 min on 1 min off for 4 miles. 1.5 Easy. Effort 7-8(7:40/mile) FRIDAY : ACTIVE RE

MIA

I ALMOST completely erased my entire "One Run Closer" blog that I started back in early 2014, reading through all my past training, race goals and race recaps left me realizing how much I changed since I found this sport.  I decided to leave my blog be, after all in some moment of time what I wrote meant something significant to me. Even though so much has changed, I changed, it may be all those instances, all those injuries, all those jabs in life that made me who I am today. Moving forward, and looking to find something that will give me significance and a reason to feel the fire again and also keep me accountable and most importantly find mindfulness and joy in life and running again. I feel that I should go into depth of where I am coming from to explain why I am here. 8 years ago or more I was once wrote about being one of the best female ultra runners on the East Coast. Still to this day I never thought that as being true. Yes, I won ultras, claimed and brok